Agriculture Education FAQ

How many years of college will it take to become an AgEd Teacher?

UConn has one program for students who are preparing to teach Agricultural Education. The program is structured to allow you to earn a Bachelor of Science degree and Master of Arts degree, and complete requirements for the Initial Educator Teaching Certificate in five years.

Why can’t I find Agricultural Education on the Undergraduate Admissions application? 

The Education/teacher certification program at UConn are only offered to graduate students. You will start your undergraduate education as a student in CAHNR in order to develop a solid content/subject area knowledge base for teaching AgEd. You may select a content-area major, such as Animal Science, Sustainable Plant & Soil Systems, Natural Resources, Resource Economics, etc., in CAHNR. We will help you select courses that will meet general education requirements, courses required for your major, and prerequisite courses for the teacher preparation/certification programs in NSoE.

What is the program for AgEd teacher preparation/certification at UConn?

Years 1-4:
Students are CAHNR undergraduates and earn a Bachelor of Science degree in a CAHNR major. Students apply in the fall of senior year (by December 1) to enter the Neag School of Education as a graduate student.

Year 5:
TCPCG students start school in the first summer session after graduating in May. The TCPCG requires a twelve month, full time commitment for two summer sessions and two full-time semesters. Students complete courses and projects during the summer to prepare for student teaching. Student teaching occurs during the Fall semester and additional school-based experience continues into the Spring semester. Course work and seminar interaction with other student teachers is included in each semester.

What kind of courses will I be taking in my subject area and in education?

The program will include a combination of general education requirements and subject/content area courses for the Bachelor of Science degree(s). Education courses are the primary emphasis during the Master of Arts year, but one to three courses in CAHNR may be possible. Sample course sequences are available on the Neag School of Education website.

What is the difference between degree completion and teacher certification?

The University of Connecticut awards the Bachelor of Science and Master of Arts degrees to graduates who complete the requirements. The Connecticut State Department of Education issues teaching certificates to authorize qualified individuals to teach in schools. The Connecticut State Department of Education issues Initial Educator Teaching Certificates to graduates of TCPCG based on the recommendation of the Neag School of Education at the University of Connecticut.

Certification from one state does not guarantee eligibility to teach in another state. Connecticut participates in the NASDTIC Interstate Agreement for Facilitating Mobility of Educational Personnel. This agreement outlines reciprocity and other agreements between states.

Do I have to take the Praxis exams?

Connecticut law requires that prospective teachers complete assessments to assure they have essential academic and content area skills. Praxis I assesses academic skills in reading, writing, and mathematics. All TCPCG applicants must take Praxis I unless they qualify for a waiver based on SAT or ACT scores. Praxis II is used to assess content area knowledge. At this time, AgEd does not require Praxis II.

For more information on Agriculture Education at UConn, please contact:

Meagan Ridder

CAHNR Office of Academic Programs

Telephone: (860) 486-2919