Degree Options

General Information

There are 16 baccalaureate (BS or BA) degrees in the College of Agriculture, Health and Natural Resources (CAHNR), and two Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degrees in the Ratcliffe Hicks School of Agriculture (RHSA). While the University of Connecticut is a relatively large institution, we pride ourselves on the “small college feel” that we facilitate by making students our number one priority.


CAHNR offers 15 Bachelor of Science degrees and 1 Bachelor of Arts degree. Please visit our Majors page to see a list of baccalaureate degree options. As soon as students decide on a major, they should formally declare that major and meet with a faculty advisor to develop a preliminary plan of study.

Pre-Professional Programs and Tracks

Students interested in pre-professional programs/tracks, such as pre-medical, pre-dental, pre-physical therapy, pre-physician assistant, pre-veterinary, etc., may fall within multiple majors in the College of Agriculture, Health and Natural Resources. Please explore our Programs page and Departments page to find out which major may be the best fit for your graduate studies. The difference between “majors” and “programs” is that you cannot graduate in a program, such as pre-vet, because there is no terminal degree. You can follow the pre-vet plan in multiple majors, such as Animal Science or Pathobiology, and graduate with that specific baccalaureate degree.

Double Majors

A double major allows students to complete majors in two different departments or plans within CAHNR. Students fulfill the major requirements for both majors and earn the degree associated with the primary major. Please review the Double Major Form on the forms page to see the process, requirements, and necessary signatures.

Individualized Major

Students who have a specific major in mind that is not currently offered at the University of Connecticut can choose an individualized major in the College of Agriculture, Health and Natural Resources. Student interested in an Individualized Major should meet with an advisor in the Individualized and Interdisciplinary Studies Program.


Minors are offered in many departments and are elective, not mandatory. Minors consist of 15 to 18 credits in a discipline or interdisciplinary area. Only courses with a grade of “C” or better and only 3 credits of transfer work can be applied to the minor. Visit the minors page to view a list of minors in CAHNR and required coursework.

Additional Degree

Students can earn a second degree either concurrently or after earning their first degree. Both degrees may be from CAHNR, but typically one may be from another school or college at UConn. Students are required to earn at least 18 degree credits higher than the degree with the higher minimum-credit requirement and must meet all requirements for each degree. Please review the Additional Degree Petition form on the forms page to see the process, requirements, and necessary signatures.