Orientation FAQ

Q: Why do I have a hold?  The Orientation site states that I cannot register with a hold.

A: Incoming students have a hold, which prevents you from registering for courses before orientation. The hold will be lifted the day of your registration at your orientation session and will be placed back on your account at 5:30 a.m. the morning following your registration session. All holds will be lifted for students that attended orientation, as well as continuing students in late July. If a student has not attended an orientation session the hold will remain on your account and you must attend the final orientation session before classes start. We place the enrollment hold to ensure that you are only able to register after you have been advised on registration and academic requirements.

*Be sure to check what type of hold you have on your account. Some holds are by the Bursar’s Office or other offices, and should be resolved before attending Orientation. 

Q:  Can I speak with an advisor before Orientation?

A: In order to make sure that every student has equal access to courses, advising, and general information, you are not permitted to speak with an academic advisor individually about your courses until you attend an Orientation. If you are planning on enrolling in summer courses prior to your fall semester, please contact the Office of Summer and Winter Programs to discuss course selection.

Q: Can I speak with an advisor regarding my transfer credit summary?

A: All transfer students will be able to speak with an advisor during their orientation registration session. If you wish to have a course reevaluated you must contact Transfer Admissions and provide them with a syllabus and course description of the course(s) that you wish to be reevaluated.

Q: How do I change my major before I get to campus?

A: If you would like to change your major, you are encouraged to do so before attending Orientation. In order to change your major you must contact Admissions at beahusky@uconn.edu and copy Orientation Services at orientation@uconn.edu with your name, student ID number (7 digits), current major, and major you wish to change to. This also applies to students wishing to change majors during or after Orientation and up until the 10th day of classes for your first semester.

Please keep in mind that many schools and colleges have an application process and admission is not guaranteed. If you are unsure about your major, utilize the resources on The Major Experience website to explore majors and careers. Review the list of majors at UConn, and note that some require an additional application. If you are still unsure about your major, you may consider changing into ACES, which is the Academic Center for Exploratory Students.

Q: Can my parents/guests be with me when I register?

A: Academic advising is between you and the academic advisor you are meeting with. Parents and family members may not accompany you during your academic advising or course registration. As a University we expect students to register for classes with the assistance of advisors only, and not their parents or family members. It is our goal for students to build a relationship with faculty advisors, as well as learn the necessary skills to register on their own for upcoming semesters. We recognize parents and family members serve a vital role in supporting and guiding their student during this transition and college experience. We encourage open communication between students and family members about what it means to take on these adult responsibilities and expectations about academic performance at UConn.

Q: What if I would like to make changes to my schedule after my orientation registration session?

A: You may make changes to your schedule, yet proceed carefully. You should not stray to far from the schedule you chose at Orientation with an advisor. If you are doing more than swapping sections of the same course, you should consult your faculty advisor before making major changes. Unforeseen changes may delay your progress in the major. If you have not been assigned a faculty advisor yet, please contact an advisor in the Office of Academic Programs. If you drop a course and then change your mind, there is nothing you can do to get back into the course if it is full. It is also imperative that you maintain full-time status, which is 12 credits. If you have forgotten aspects of the Student Administration System, please use this video to assist you.